Monday, October 12, 2009

Durgerdam and Amsterdam

Sept 11-13ish:

Left Oslo and flew to Amsterdam through Copenhagen -–Yes I remembered to take the train this time to get to the airport—.

I arriving in Amsterdam realized that there was no train that would take me near my hotel, why you ask? Well because my hotel was just south of the middle of nowhere, it was a tavern with 3 rooms about 15km outside of Amsterdam (it was a 20 euro taxi ride each way to the nearest store). Here are some pics of the tavern and the area.

034 

The tavern

035

The town (left view)

033

Across the street.

 

This was actually a welcome break from the constant going that happens at all conferences. I actually had a great time here and would love to head back one day. Keep in mind though that you have to be well behaved at this tavern or they put you in this:

037

 

The rooms at this tavern were not numbered, instead they were animals! I got to stay in the Cow Room as you can see by the door.

045

It was decorated with lots of cow paraphernalia but the creepiest thing was the picture over the bed.

042 

I think they put the drapes there so when you saw scary cow you had the ability to close the drapes and forget he was there.

This tavern is the only thing in Durgerdam so finding it should not be too hard and I would highly recommend it for a quiet weekend. Across the street there is a dock that you can sit and hang out on. I would recommend going when its warm though as it seems like a not so nice place in the winter. Just remember to be good or you may get a close up view of the shackles ..

Side comment: Heineken actually tastes good in Holland who would have thought. It North America.

 

On Saturday I met up with Erik Pragt and then Lucia for a while in Amsterdam at a little Irish pub.

040

Erik at pub.

 

On Sunday we went to Erik’s house to play some guitar hero then I jumped a train to Rotterdam as I was to be teaching a course Monday morning there…

No comments:

Post a Comment